Friday, September 19, 2014

Kitchen Cabinets

Hi All,

This summer I got at least one major project done.  I finally finished painting our kitchen cabinets!  Whew, that was quite a doozy.

I started in June.  And finally finished last week.  No, I have not been painting non-stop since June.  I started in June, with some time off in between.  Since we didn't have a whole lot of room, I decided to break this project into three phases.  It would have been too much to take off ALL the cabinet doors at once.  The major reason being we don't have enough room to do that.  So, due to lack of room, three phases is what it took.

Here's a look at what I started off with:  Basic 90's oak.


I wanted to brighten up the space, but did not what stark white.  I opted for Behr Linen white, and some new hardware. I started with oil-based primer (stinky stuff).

First phase was the top cabinets. Just a note; don't start with the cabinets you see most often, up close and in your face, unless you're a pro and this is not your first go 'round.  I can see all the little flaws in these, that I was able to iron out with a bit of practice.

Progress Pic:

Second phase was the bottom cabinets by the sink and to the left of the stove, after a long reprieve for some family and 10 year wedding anniversary celebrations for my hubby and I.

Sorry, no progress pic for that.

Last was around the fridge and the drawers next to the stove.

Ta Da!:

  Boy am I glad that's over. But I still have three bathroom vanities to get to.  Also that nice oak trim you see around the pantry?  Ya, that has to be painted white.  And I plan on painting ALL the trim in the house.  Let me tell you, that is A LOT of trim.  I'm taking a break for now though. 

One last look.

Some great blogs that explain the process here and here.


Thursday, September 4, 2014

Kids Back to School Board

Hi All,

Well we're in the first week of school here and to celebrate such an occasion I thought I'd blog about the homework board, or school board I made using two bulletin boards.

Truth be told, I made this last year.  It's just taken me awhile to post it.  It's been working for our family though, so at least you know it works!
I started with two plain bulletin boards purchased from the thrift store.  I wanted to attach them so that I will have a bigger board.

So I used some 2 x 1's and cut them to size.  Then Gorilla glued them together.

I then painted it all white to tie it all together.  Ta da!  Now they're attached together, making for a larger board.  Just add some washi tape to jazz it up.

Underneath, I added two metal wall file folders from target for $11 each!  Much better than the plastic ones I was eyeing from Staples.  Now when the kids get home, any notices get pinned to the board so that my fridge isn't cluttered up, and their homework and agendas go in the file folders.

There you have it, a place for any school papers and birthday invites, or anything to do with my children. The fridge is reserved for other papers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...