Saturday, August 31, 2013

Our Backyard Garden

I thought I'd document our garden we have in the yard before harvesting soon.


It's not a large garden but we're just learning.  We expanded actually.  Last year there was only a rectangle. This year we added a square which now makes it a V-Like garden bed.  The garden bed itself was super simple to make.  They're just cedar 2x4's and some simple brackets.

 Actually, I should give credit, where credit is due.  My husband has the green thumb.  This garden is really his initiative.  Me and my taste-buds are along for the ride.  I am learning along the way too.  I planted the carrots so that I can cross off "grow my own food" from my bucket list.

Here's the close-ups:


Loose leaf lettuce.  We've been getting a lot from this.  In fact some of the lettuce we bought from the store went bad because I really didn't need it due to all this foliage.  I must remember not to buy veges from the grocery store that we're growing already.  


Our lone cucumber.  Last year we had a good crop.  This year though half the plant died and this is the only one.  Oh well, it's something at least.


Jalepeno Peppers.  We have many of these.  Can't wait to make some burgers with these bad boys.


Green Peppers.  We have a couple plants with a few peppers growing.  They're so cute aren't they?


Ahhh Carrots.  So delicious and crunchy.  Last year's crop was so little and small.  This year we've had so many.  And they're big.  See the big gaping holes from some being pillaged already?


Yup, some crunchy goodness right there. 


Our broccoli didn't turn out.  As you can see.  It bolted due to the heat, right along with our spinach.  The spinach grew so tall we had to uproot them.  I think we'll plant them later on in the season?


This is the view from the back.  We have plenty of tomatoes growing too.


 And then on the corner of our deck we have some lovely flowers to enjoy.



That's it.  We've had a great summer here.  

Blessings,
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...